Universal Credit

If you’re claiming Universal Credit you need to notify the DWP/Job Centre when you receive your rent increase letter as we have been informed that delayed notifications will not be backdated.

Universal Credit has begun to be introduced across the borough. It combines six benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance


We are here to offer you all the support you need as you go on to Universal Credit to make sure that you continue to receive all the money you are entitled to.

Key facts about Universal Credit

  1. Universal Credit is available to people who are in work and on a low income, as well as to those who are out of work.
  2. Applications for Universal Credit are made online.
  3. Universal Credit is responsive - as people on low incomes move in and out of work, they’ll get support.
  4. You'll receive one monthly payment, which has to be paid into a bank or building society account.
  5. You'll now be responsible for paying your rent directly to RBH out of the money you receive.

Universal Credit will be administered by the Department for Work and Pensions. Before you claim Universal Credit you’ll need:

  • Your postcode
  • Your National Insurance number
  • Details of the bank, building society or post office you want Universal Credit to be paid in to
  • Your rent agreement
  • Details of your savings, other capital or any other benefits you’re getting paid.
  • Details of any income that’s not from work, eg an Insurance Plan

To see how ready you are for the changes and find out what you can do to prepare use the personal planner.

The Money Advice service has produced a short video, Get Ready for Universal Credit

It’s very important that you have a bank or building society account so that you can receive your monthly Universal Credit payment.

Many people find that having an account with a direct debit facility is a good way of taking the stress out of paying bills. Paying by direct debit means that the bills will automatically be paid when they are due to give you peace of mind.

If you're a couple who live together you will need to open a joint bank account as the Universal Credit payment will be for the whole household. Manchester Credit Union offers a basic bank account. For information about this please visit their website or telephone 0161 231 5222.

For more information about basic bank accounts visit the Money Advice Service website or contact the RBH Income Team on 0800 027 7769

You can also find out how to set up an account here: getting a bank account

Other help you can get in adjusting to Universal Credit: