About Waithlands Road and Channing Street
The neighbourhood provides over 270 homes. The majority of housing type within the neighbourhood are 1 bed flats. Other homes are mainly 3 bed houses plus some larger family houses and 16 bungalows
The age make up of the neighbourhood is mixed but has a higher mid age households. The neighbourhood contain a higher than RBH average of households identifying as Bangladeshi, Pakistani or Kashmiri
Access Transport and Facilities
The neighbourhoods are located on the east side of Rochdale and are on a main bus route to Rochdale town centre and within walking distance of tram links (to places such as Manchester Oldham and Bury).
Waithlands Road and Channing Street: In Depth
Home & environment
Customer satisfaction with their home and the appearance of the neighbourhood is good
- A number of properties in Waithlands and Channing Street have benefitting from kitchen and/or bathroom replacement work in 2015/16.
- A window and door replacement programme was completed across the neighbourhood in 2012/13.
- A painting programme was undertaken in 2012/13 and a further painting programme is planned for 2017/18.
- Quarterly neighbourhood inspection will be used to identify an environmental issues in communal open spaces
People report a high level of satisfaction with living in these neighbourhoods,. There are reported pockets of anti social behaviour across the neighbourhood People living in the neighbourhood report a positive sense of well being. However RBH membership levels are low in this neighbourhood and appear not to be offering opportunities to participate that are valued.
- RBH is working in partnership with Police, Rochdale Council and support agencies to reduce and resolve anti social behaviour including taking enforcement action where appropriate.
- RBH has worked with Adult Care and partner agencies to provide our tenants with aids and adaptations
- RBH will continue to offer members options to participate in the decisions RBH makes
- RBH will develop further work with Police and support agencies to develop early intervention in relation to juvenile anti social behaviour and incidents arising from alcohol and drug misuse
- Working with local tenant members RBH will investigate new ways that our members can get involved in RBH Mutual
The neighbourhood has a relatively high benefit dependency. As such, welfare benefit changes and the roll out of Universal Credit continue to affect people living in these neighbourhoods. Households experiencing debt may show a need for support around budget and money management and well as improving access to quality employment and skills training
- RBH Rent & Payments Team have been assisting households to apply for Discretionary Hardship Payments where appropriate
- RBH has contacted and supported households affected by the Welfare Benefits cap
- RBH specialist debt team has assisted households in managing and reducing debt
- RBH will continue with local outreach campaigns to contact those households needing money advice
- RBH will work with new employment and skills programmes such as Working Well and Motiv8 to improve people’s access to work and skills support
- RBH will offer one to one mentoring support to tenant members who are looking to improve employment opportunities
- The RBH Community Fund will seek to fund community organisations to deliver activities which reduce poverty and assist money management
Decide Together: Waithlands Road and Channing Street
Decide Together can offer funding to any RBH member or group who has an idea for an activity which addresses a priority or action within a Neighbourhoods Together area.
Your priorities for Waithlands Road and Channing Street
- Improving well being and reducing isolation
- Money management & debt
- Employment & skills
How does it work
- Complete and submit a Decide Together Form with your idea
- Your idea will then be placed on the RBH website
- All RBH members living in the 16 neighbourhoods will be invited to vote online for projects in their neighbourhood
- Projects that receive the most member votes receive the funding to try out their idea
- RBH Members need to vote for the projects they want to see happen.